Skip to main content

Snow Drawing on Glass



   Whilst decorating my house for Christmas i created some drawings using snow spray on the window and a spatula. I really liked using this medium as it was easy and i could create a lot of interesting effects depending on what sort of spray was used. I first used a spray that dried quickly and found if sprayed on thickly it created cracks. I thought this was easier to use in order to shape things and remove marks. The other spray was more wet so when moved around it would leave marks.




   The images are easier to see at night with a dark background but i thought they could look good if in front of a sun set or having a light shone through it. However, the cracks are easier to see in the day, making the house look old and forgotten.
 


     Unfortunately, i ran out of the dry spray so had to use the wet one when actually trying to create something for my art. I drew a dancer on my window and removed the spray in the middle of her dress so most of her body was see through. I decided to draw her like this to show her loss of identity and continue on the idea of the dreamer becoming a ghost. Im planning to see how the image changes if i catch the sun shining through or sun set. I may also place fabric behind the glass to fill in the gaps. Using some LED lights i waved them in front of the cameras when taking a photo so they blurred, creating movement of the dancer as well as adding colour to represent the dream filling in the dreamers empty void.

    I took this photo of the same drawing in the day. I was able to get the sun shining behind it creating a pale light. I was unable to capture this piece in the sun set however, i found the contrast of the light next to the dark shadows of the garden underneath interesting.
   I took another picture at a different angle with the sun above the drawing, causing the dancer to be in the shadows. How the light changes the image is interesting. Its as if the dancer lost their control of the dream and became forgotten in the shadows.

     Using the wet spray i removed, i drew a face on my mirror. I only drew minor features, only enough to make out a face. I wanted to draw it on the mirror so the viewer would see there own reflection replacing the face. Additionally, its to show how the dreamer can become lost and distant from people but others only look through the person as they dont notice they arent actually present and coping with reality. Again i waved the lights in front of the mirror. It didnt work at first as the mirror showed the wire so i waved it behind the camera, capturing small light movements. I really like the simplicity of this piece and how the lights look like tears falling from the eye. I would like to develop this by drawing more pieces on mirror, possibly using paint spray or other wet mediums like paint.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paint and PVA Glue Experiment Continues

      Using the same mixture i used for the second net experiment. I dripped the paint on the acetate. It looked really beautiful when it was wet, especially how the colours mixed and moved together. Unfortunately i lost the detail slightly as it dried. The colours became more dull and the mixture was weak which showed once dry. There is still really nice sections like the yellow turning green in the blue and how the blue crosses over to red. Unfortunately, some drips broke when pulled up due to the weakness.    To improve this i will make a stronger mixture and build up the drips with layers so they are thicker.    I decided to use a different PVA glue which worked really well with the paint. However, i used it differently so didnt find out if the first PVA glue was the mixtures problem. I poured PVA glue onto acetate which had some yellow and green print marks on. I did this as the glue picked up the colours on the back. Then i painted on the glu...

Netting

      I poured the remainder of the acrylic, water and PVA glue mixture onto the netting. I created this folds by tying the end together. I wanted the folds so the netting was similar to an underskirt with layers that the dancers would be wearing. I wish i filmed the paint dripping on it as i was surprised to see the paint run off as if it was on paper and not holes.      I really like this photo of the netting, alone on a black background. It makes the white pop and look unusual as the background is so clean compared to the netting. Unfortunately, the paint dried a little dull, i think if it was more vibrant it would really add another layer to this photo.     To develop this i would like to try placing the netting differently for different styles of layering it. Additionally, i could paint each layer a separate colour then see how they show through altogether.      I took these photos to see inside the netting whilst the paint ...

Observational Drawings of Installation

     I did some observational drawings of this piece whilst it was hanging. I wish that i drew these at a different perspective and angle to show i am looking at a piece hanging, creating formation and an object, instead i drew what i saw straight on of the board and not the actual board itself.    All drawings were drawn in four minutes.     My first drawing was a continuous line using biro. I quite enjoyed this technique as it is very free flowing. However, i struggle to focus on capturing details and creating shading. I think i need to improve this by focusing on one singular object at a time.I also found that i just drew one line to represent the string, making them appear as violent scribbles instead of string. I see the benefit of this appearance as it shows frustration of the singer who feel trapped, however i grew annoyed as i wanted to draw the string.          This drawing is difficult to see as i used coloured ...