Skip to main content

Installation

    In ten minutes i created this piece without preparation and using materials on hand. I used string and metal to represent the roughness and collapsing buildings inspired by Spinalonga and the bareness of the black background. I included some flowers and colourful leaves to create the influence of overgrown wildlife in the visuals.
    The bird image appears very out of place as it is a clear image. To me this represents imagination against the black background, showing the isolation and how the singer is filling that void with dreams. In the visuals the only other company the singer has is the dancers, the birds could represent that company or even be singing birds showing the musical connection. Using wire, i hung this from the ceiling, allowing it to spin, like the dancers. I wrapped this piece in string as it prevents the viewer from seeing everything as well as traps the image together, just like the singer is trapped in her dreams.
    I really like the outcome of this piece as it is not something i would of thought of if i had time to plan, i have never thought about using random metal bars before even though i have thought about painting on metal. I find the composition interesting as it is all very random and without context this piece makes no sense. However, i am very interested to know what people would think of this piece without context. To improve this i would like to wrap more string around to make it have a stronger impact and actually prevent some areas from being fully viewed. I would also like to drip the string in paint, and pour paint on the string, allowing it to drip. However this may be difficult as it could cover other parts of the background however i plan to try this.
    This experiment inspired an idea that could work for a final piece or experiment to try. I like the idea of using a mannequin in a dance position, wearing the undergarment outfit for the dancers and rotating. Or an abstract version where it is just the clothes/fabric hanging in a way that shows motion. They are surrounded by a circle (with a gap between the dancer and string) of string creating a wall. The string would be dipped in paint, allowing it to drip and some of the string drooping across others leaving gaps for the viewer to see, or move the string as if looking through blinds to view the dancer. Also there would be lights on the floor inside the string circle, shining on the dancer. This shows how in her dreams she is in the spotlight and feels important but the string also shows how she is trapped and incredibly isolated from real people and the real world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paint and PVA Glue Experiment Continues

      Using the same mixture i used for the second net experiment. I dripped the paint on the acetate. It looked really beautiful when it was wet, especially how the colours mixed and moved together. Unfortunately i lost the detail slightly as it dried. The colours became more dull and the mixture was weak which showed once dry. There is still really nice sections like the yellow turning green in the blue and how the blue crosses over to red. Unfortunately, some drips broke when pulled up due to the weakness.    To improve this i will make a stronger mixture and build up the drips with layers so they are thicker.    I decided to use a different PVA glue which worked really well with the paint. However, i used it differently so didnt find out if the first PVA glue was the mixtures problem. I poured PVA glue onto acetate which had some yellow and green print marks on. I did this as the glue picked up the colours on the back. Then i painted on the glu...

Netting

      I poured the remainder of the acrylic, water and PVA glue mixture onto the netting. I created this folds by tying the end together. I wanted the folds so the netting was similar to an underskirt with layers that the dancers would be wearing. I wish i filmed the paint dripping on it as i was surprised to see the paint run off as if it was on paper and not holes.      I really like this photo of the netting, alone on a black background. It makes the white pop and look unusual as the background is so clean compared to the netting. Unfortunately, the paint dried a little dull, i think if it was more vibrant it would really add another layer to this photo.     To develop this i would like to try placing the netting differently for different styles of layering it. Additionally, i could paint each layer a separate colour then see how they show through altogether.      I took these photos to see inside the netting whilst the paint ...

Observational Drawings of Installation

     I did some observational drawings of this piece whilst it was hanging. I wish that i drew these at a different perspective and angle to show i am looking at a piece hanging, creating formation and an object, instead i drew what i saw straight on of the board and not the actual board itself.    All drawings were drawn in four minutes.     My first drawing was a continuous line using biro. I quite enjoyed this technique as it is very free flowing. However, i struggle to focus on capturing details and creating shading. I think i need to improve this by focusing on one singular object at a time.I also found that i just drew one line to represent the string, making them appear as violent scribbles instead of string. I see the benefit of this appearance as it shows frustration of the singer who feel trapped, however i grew annoyed as i wanted to draw the string.          This drawing is difficult to see as i used coloured ...