Skip to main content

Development:

      I decided to develop the drawings i did when experimenting with the use of the projector. I felt that these drawings were quite bad as they were quick sketches and details were out of place. For instance the scribbles on the dancers faces look odd and ruin the drawing. As i was looking into rough painting i decided to try experiment with the style. I think between the two my favourite outcome of the paint is of the face, The random pop of colour in the hair and mix of bright colours. I quite like the outcome when using a pallet knife and scraping it down the page with all the colours. The way the colours mix and still stand out from one another. Furthermore, adding paint to the drawing helped illuminate the green pen drawing. On the other hand some features are out of place, for instance the eyes are slightly ff and the lips.
   For the dancers, i found acrylic paint to be too runny to mix with colours. I think oil paint might work better. I got the paint in the right lines this time, however i wasnt as experimental with the colours making the painting too pristine. I think to improve i need to build up the paint, for instance the skin tones to be more realistic then layer rough paint on top. I could also layer different materials during this process, like tissue paper and coloured card.
  Inspired by a piece i did last year when at the sculpture park i created a collage of photos on a page then drew a line drawing of a sculpture on top. I created a similar process here by creating a collage from photos of Spinalonga, including the photo of the building i drew. Unfortunately, its difficult to see the drawing as the photos are in black and white. However, the lines might of not stood out in coloured photos as dark areas would still hide the lines and it may be too distracting. To improve this issue i would use another coloured marker to repeat the lines of the drawing. I did this on the sculpture drawing too and plan to do this once i get a hold of a coloured marker.

   To devlop this further, i like the idea of creating multiple versions of the paintings in different colours and styles to express different emotions. Allowing the viewer to change the painting to what pulls their attention. I could ask the viewer to explain why they preferred that painting.Furthermore, i could draw more versions of the dancers so they overlap and possibly look like they are moving. Or pull the painting in and out of the folder repeatedly to create movement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paint and PVA Glue Experiment Continues

      Using the same mixture i used for the second net experiment. I dripped the paint on the acetate. It looked really beautiful when it was wet, especially how the colours mixed and moved together. Unfortunately i lost the detail slightly as it dried. The colours became more dull and the mixture was weak which showed once dry. There is still really nice sections like the yellow turning green in the blue and how the blue crosses over to red. Unfortunately, some drips broke when pulled up due to the weakness.    To improve this i will make a stronger mixture and build up the drips with layers so they are thicker.    I decided to use a different PVA glue which worked really well with the paint. However, i used it differently so didnt find out if the first PVA glue was the mixtures problem. I poured PVA glue onto acetate which had some yellow and green print marks on. I did this as the glue picked up the colours on the back. Then i painted on the glu...

Netting

      I poured the remainder of the acrylic, water and PVA glue mixture onto the netting. I created this folds by tying the end together. I wanted the folds so the netting was similar to an underskirt with layers that the dancers would be wearing. I wish i filmed the paint dripping on it as i was surprised to see the paint run off as if it was on paper and not holes.      I really like this photo of the netting, alone on a black background. It makes the white pop and look unusual as the background is so clean compared to the netting. Unfortunately, the paint dried a little dull, i think if it was more vibrant it would really add another layer to this photo.     To develop this i would like to try placing the netting differently for different styles of layering it. Additionally, i could paint each layer a separate colour then see how they show through altogether.      I took these photos to see inside the netting whilst the paint ...

Observational Drawings of Installation

     I did some observational drawings of this piece whilst it was hanging. I wish that i drew these at a different perspective and angle to show i am looking at a piece hanging, creating formation and an object, instead i drew what i saw straight on of the board and not the actual board itself.    All drawings were drawn in four minutes.     My first drawing was a continuous line using biro. I quite enjoyed this technique as it is very free flowing. However, i struggle to focus on capturing details and creating shading. I think i need to improve this by focusing on one singular object at a time.I also found that i just drew one line to represent the string, making them appear as violent scribbles instead of string. I see the benefit of this appearance as it shows frustration of the singer who feel trapped, however i grew annoyed as i wanted to draw the string.          This drawing is difficult to see as i used coloured ...