Skip to main content

Painting No Form On Glass

      Using two separate pieces of glass i lay them so they crossed over each other and painted an image of two dancers using a small pallet knife and acrylic paints. I wanted to show the paint mixing together in hopes to create movement in the dress however the acrylics didnt work. Instead the colours all merged and looks messy to me as well as i dislike the matte finish. Instead i might try using oil paints and carefully using the pallet knife in a one direction motion so the paint doesnt over mix. I could also use a gloss to help finish and get rid of the dry matte finish.
   To develop this further i like the idea of doing a bigger version of this using multiple pieces of glass hanging from the ceiling so when the viewer stands directly in front they see the image all together. Furthermore, i would shine a light on the painting to create a shadow on the wall behind. It would be interesting to experiment with different coloured lights and possibly moving lights to see if the moving shadows creates the feeling of the dancers moving around the room.
    When painting the people i decided to try the idea of artist Skepetzi as she creates a lack of form and line when painting people. So i decided to add no features on their faces or outline. The lack of form makes the focus entirely on the movement of the dress which i like. However i dislike the finished outcome of this particular first try. I shall try to improve this by creating a more refined version so their bodies look more complete as i feel adding shadows may help.



    I developed this piece by breaking the glass panes into pieces. I decided to do this as i already had a pattern of broken images in my work with the mask and glass on canvas. I thought by breaking it would show the dreamers broken realisation of reality. The act of breaking the glass was interesting.
   To be safe i just stood on the glass. I found that by standing in a particular place can cause the glass to break differently. For instance the glass with the woman on i stood in the middle, causing a wave effect around the pressure point. However, my friend stood on the edge causing one part of the glass to break randomly. I think the action of breaking the glass is interesting and how throwing the glass on the floor would of conveyed the frustration the dreamer was experiencing. Especially as they want to break free of their dreaming, however once broke the glass they could experience regret as they can not get back what they once had.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paint and PVA Glue Experiment Continues

      Using the same mixture i used for the second net experiment. I dripped the paint on the acetate. It looked really beautiful when it was wet, especially how the colours mixed and moved together. Unfortunately i lost the detail slightly as it dried. The colours became more dull and the mixture was weak which showed once dry. There is still really nice sections like the yellow turning green in the blue and how the blue crosses over to red. Unfortunately, some drips broke when pulled up due to the weakness.    To improve this i will make a stronger mixture and build up the drips with layers so they are thicker.    I decided to use a different PVA glue which worked really well with the paint. However, i used it differently so didnt find out if the first PVA glue was the mixtures problem. I poured PVA glue onto acetate which had some yellow and green print marks on. I did this as the glue picked up the colours on the back. Then i painted on the glu...

Netting

      I poured the remainder of the acrylic, water and PVA glue mixture onto the netting. I created this folds by tying the end together. I wanted the folds so the netting was similar to an underskirt with layers that the dancers would be wearing. I wish i filmed the paint dripping on it as i was surprised to see the paint run off as if it was on paper and not holes.      I really like this photo of the netting, alone on a black background. It makes the white pop and look unusual as the background is so clean compared to the netting. Unfortunately, the paint dried a little dull, i think if it was more vibrant it would really add another layer to this photo.     To develop this i would like to try placing the netting differently for different styles of layering it. Additionally, i could paint each layer a separate colour then see how they show through altogether.      I took these photos to see inside the netting whilst the paint ...

Observational Drawings of Installation

     I did some observational drawings of this piece whilst it was hanging. I wish that i drew these at a different perspective and angle to show i am looking at a piece hanging, creating formation and an object, instead i drew what i saw straight on of the board and not the actual board itself.    All drawings were drawn in four minutes.     My first drawing was a continuous line using biro. I quite enjoyed this technique as it is very free flowing. However, i struggle to focus on capturing details and creating shading. I think i need to improve this by focusing on one singular object at a time.I also found that i just drew one line to represent the string, making them appear as violent scribbles instead of string. I see the benefit of this appearance as it shows frustration of the singer who feel trapped, however i grew annoyed as i wanted to draw the string.          This drawing is difficult to see as i used coloured ...