Skip to main content

Felt Dancer

    I bought some felt to experiment with and include the material in some of my work. I decided to try create a little felt dancer inspired by the dancers i took photos off. However, this was more aimed towards my "Dont Delete the Kisses" visual idea. For this idea the dancers would be doing more ballet styled dancing.
    It takes a while to build up the felt into a shape but i found a trick to twist the felt into a ball if i was adding it on as it was quicker to make it stay on as well as made it thicker quicker. The skirt was the easiest to make, i like the way i layered different shades of purple and pink to create the skirt. It would be nice to build this up more so it was thicker. Due to the skirt i didnt really focus on creating the legs as they cant really be seen. Originally she was suppose to be doing the splits.
     I wasnt able to create the hands or feet as it was difficult to shape and add tiny details. I tried to add features to her face but as this was difficult i think i made her look a little demonic. However, overall for my first try i am quite pleased with this outcome. I would like to try to create a 2D image using felt as that could be easier to add little detail. I want to create a version of Nester Formentera's work this way as creating straight shaping the straight lines would be nice using this material.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paint and PVA Glue Experiment Continues

      Using the same mixture i used for the second net experiment. I dripped the paint on the acetate. It looked really beautiful when it was wet, especially how the colours mixed and moved together. Unfortunately i lost the detail slightly as it dried. The colours became more dull and the mixture was weak which showed once dry. There is still really nice sections like the yellow turning green in the blue and how the blue crosses over to red. Unfortunately, some drips broke when pulled up due to the weakness.    To improve this i will make a stronger mixture and build up the drips with layers so they are thicker.    I decided to use a different PVA glue which worked really well with the paint. However, i used it differently so didnt find out if the first PVA glue was the mixtures problem. I poured PVA glue onto acetate which had some yellow and green print marks on. I did this as the glue picked up the colours on the back. Then i painted on the glu...

Netting

      I poured the remainder of the acrylic, water and PVA glue mixture onto the netting. I created this folds by tying the end together. I wanted the folds so the netting was similar to an underskirt with layers that the dancers would be wearing. I wish i filmed the paint dripping on it as i was surprised to see the paint run off as if it was on paper and not holes.      I really like this photo of the netting, alone on a black background. It makes the white pop and look unusual as the background is so clean compared to the netting. Unfortunately, the paint dried a little dull, i think if it was more vibrant it would really add another layer to this photo.     To develop this i would like to try placing the netting differently for different styles of layering it. Additionally, i could paint each layer a separate colour then see how they show through altogether.      I took these photos to see inside the netting whilst the paint ...

Observational Drawings of Installation

     I did some observational drawings of this piece whilst it was hanging. I wish that i drew these at a different perspective and angle to show i am looking at a piece hanging, creating formation and an object, instead i drew what i saw straight on of the board and not the actual board itself.    All drawings were drawn in four minutes.     My first drawing was a continuous line using biro. I quite enjoyed this technique as it is very free flowing. However, i struggle to focus on capturing details and creating shading. I think i need to improve this by focusing on one singular object at a time.I also found that i just drew one line to represent the string, making them appear as violent scribbles instead of string. I see the benefit of this appearance as it shows frustration of the singer who feel trapped, however i grew annoyed as i wanted to draw the string.          This drawing is difficult to see as i used coloured ...