Skip to main content

Crete: Artist- Chrysoula Skepetzi

   Whilst in Crete i visited an art gallery showing the works of  Chrysoula Skepetzi. I had never heard of this artist before however her work felt familiar. What first caught my eye in Skepetzi`s work was her use of bold colours. Bright colours really attract me, but i soon became more fascinated with the use of newspaper and shadows that looked so realistic. Each piece had shadows following the person which made me think about light again. Additionally, how she incorporates newspaper into the surroundings or shadows in a controlled manner was really interesting. Her painting style, using oil on canvas, distances the viewer from the crowd. No one is singled out as the focus; instead they lose their features making them unrecognisable. Skepetzi disregards tone, line and background. This is an interesting concept that i would like to try in my art, I enjoy drawing the body but do not like including the face as a recognisable person; i find it distracting unless the main focus is suppose to be solely on the face.

      Furthermore, the subjects within her paintings are completely unaware that they are being painted, as if Skepetzi is not there at all. It makes the surroundings in the paintings look more natural, like a world you can just step into unlike a photograph which has captured an old memory that you have already lived. This also made me think about acting. The most common style of theatre/TV show styles are when the actors do not interact with the audience or camera. This welcomes the viewer into the story to be able to watch it unfold and escape. Differently to when the audience are able to interact, it prevents them to be able to imagine themselves as a character as they must play them self to join in- unable to escape completely from their reality. Additionally, i think it makes the paintings more calming and interesting as you have to look at each individual to see what they are doing. Similar to sitting back and watching people pass a window as you relax.



   Skepetzi`s other work involved a colour pallet of red, white and black. Usually using red string to connect people. Her collages are very simplistic yet detailed. I especially liked the collection of small collages that all showed individual people, like families in their houses. They each depict a small part of society that are all incredibly different, however the use of the same colours indicates that everybody is the same and all our different ways of living and opinions are connected to one another. 


   Lastly, a small sculpture was included that helped me fully understand her work. Once again she created people with no features so they are able to represent any person in the world. Each figure was placed on the black squares of a chess board suggesting we are all on the same side of the battle and that we must work together as a team. Each figure was connected with a single red cotton string, suggesting how we are all connected in life.
 To me i can see this as how collectively humans are the ones destroying the planet, together we build a world suited for only our existence and the red string represents that connection in which we endanger the planet. However, i know from Skepetzi`s other work that she focuses on the use of the media and how that connects us and influences our society. Hence why in her other works the crowds walked on the newspaper as the media connects us all even if we are all strangers to one another.
 
    I really like how Skepetzi doesnt use line, tone and background in her work and would really like to try bring this style into some of my experiments. Furthermore, the use of mixed media and a basic colour pallet of red, black and white i would like to try and create something similar but in my own version as i experiment.










    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paint and PVA Glue Experiment Continues

      Using the same mixture i used for the second net experiment. I dripped the paint on the acetate. It looked really beautiful when it was wet, especially how the colours mixed and moved together. Unfortunately i lost the detail slightly as it dried. The colours became more dull and the mixture was weak which showed once dry. There is still really nice sections like the yellow turning green in the blue and how the blue crosses over to red. Unfortunately, some drips broke when pulled up due to the weakness.    To improve this i will make a stronger mixture and build up the drips with layers so they are thicker.    I decided to use a different PVA glue which worked really well with the paint. However, i used it differently so didnt find out if the first PVA glue was the mixtures problem. I poured PVA glue onto acetate which had some yellow and green print marks on. I did this as the glue picked up the colours on the back. Then i painted on the glu...

Netting

      I poured the remainder of the acrylic, water and PVA glue mixture onto the netting. I created this folds by tying the end together. I wanted the folds so the netting was similar to an underskirt with layers that the dancers would be wearing. I wish i filmed the paint dripping on it as i was surprised to see the paint run off as if it was on paper and not holes.      I really like this photo of the netting, alone on a black background. It makes the white pop and look unusual as the background is so clean compared to the netting. Unfortunately, the paint dried a little dull, i think if it was more vibrant it would really add another layer to this photo.     To develop this i would like to try placing the netting differently for different styles of layering it. Additionally, i could paint each layer a separate colour then see how they show through altogether.      I took these photos to see inside the netting whilst the paint ...

Observational Drawings of Installation

     I did some observational drawings of this piece whilst it was hanging. I wish that i drew these at a different perspective and angle to show i am looking at a piece hanging, creating formation and an object, instead i drew what i saw straight on of the board and not the actual board itself.    All drawings were drawn in four minutes.     My first drawing was a continuous line using biro. I quite enjoyed this technique as it is very free flowing. However, i struggle to focus on capturing details and creating shading. I think i need to improve this by focusing on one singular object at a time.I also found that i just drew one line to represent the string, making them appear as violent scribbles instead of string. I see the benefit of this appearance as it shows frustration of the singer who feel trapped, however i grew annoyed as i wanted to draw the string.          This drawing is difficult to see as i used coloured ...